Following are some brief descriptions so that you can see how the numbering system is organized. Though there may seem to be many choices, they are simply combinations of a few basic machines and accessories.
Inch vs. Metric
All machines and accessories that have threaded leadscrews are calibrated in your choice of either inch or metric divisions. The first part number is the inch version, the second (in parenthesis) is the metric version. In some other listings the two part numbers may be separated by a diagonal; for example, “4000/4100.” Again, the first number is the inch part number and the second number is the metric version. Accessories that have inch and metric versions are numbered the same way. If an accessory has only one part number that means it will work with either inch or metric machines.
Sherline offers two different lathe models. Physically they are essentially the same except for the distance between centers. The 4000-series has 8″ between centers, while the longer 4400-series has 17″ between centers and includes as standard equipment some additional luxury features that would be optional on the shorter 4000 lathe. Because of its extra length, the cast metal base of the 4400 lathe is also deeper for added rigidity. All lathes include: Faceplate, drive dog, #1 and #0 Morse dead centers, tool post and pre-sharpened RH cutting tool, 4 hex keys, two Tommy (spindle) bars and instruction manual. The 4400-series lathes also include adjustable zero handwheels, a rocker tool post and larger chucks in the accessory packages. Click on any photo to view a larger image.
Sherline offers four mill models. All feature same headstock/motor/speed control unit. The 5000-series mill is the base model, while the 5400-series mills offer more Y-axis travel and some luxury features that would be optional extras on the 5000-series. The 2000 series 8-direction mill offers even more Y-axis travel and a column design that allows the headstock to be positioned or moved in 4 additional directions. All mills include 3 hex adjustment keys, a Tommy (spindle) bar and an instruction manual. The 5400, 2000, and 5800 models also include adjustable zero handwheels, laser marked reference scales and a 1/4″ drill chuck. The 5400-series models also include a P/N 1297 headstock spacer block. Click on any photo to view a larger image.
Machine and Accessory Packages: (Add “A”, “B” or “C” to part number)
Any lathe or mill can be ordered as a machine only with just the standard equipment described above or as part of a package including the machine and accessories. Following is a brief description of what comes in the packages. Detailed descriptions of all the items included in each package can be found by going to the page for the particular package you seek.
- Lathe A package (includes 3-jaw chuck and drill chuck), Lathe B package (includes both chucks plus basic accessories like a steady rest, live center, extra cutting tools, parting tool, etc.) or Lathe C package (includes chucks, basic accessories plus a threading attachment and compound slide).
- Mill A package (Includes a drill chuck and a selection of basic part holding and cutting tool accessories, 1297 spacer block included with 5000 and 5400 mills). (B and C packages are not available for the mill.)
- 6000 (6010) Complete shop package with 4400 lathe, 5400 mill and a large selection of accessories including a rotary table.
- 6200 (6210) Complete shop package with 4400 lathe, 2000 mill and a large selection of accessories including a rotary table.
- All above machines and packages are available with a factory installed digital readout, known as a DRO (Add “-DRO” to end of part number)
- All above machines and packages are available with stepper motor mounts ready for the application of computer control, known as CNC (Add “-CNC” to end of part number)
NOTE: These “CNC-ready” machines still require stepper motors, drivers, computer and software to operate. Complete turn-key CNC packages with machines, mounts, motors, cables, computer and software are also available from Sherline under different part numbers.
- 4400—3.5″ x 17″ lathe with inch handwheel calibrations
- 4100C-DRO—3.5″ x 8″ lathe with metric handwheel calibrations, “C” accessory package and fitted with factory installed digital readout
- 5400A-CNC—deluxe mill with 12″ base, inch handwheel calibrations, “A” accessory package and fitted with factory installed stepper motor mounts ready for CNC
- 6210-DRO—Complete shop package with 4410 lathe and 2010 mill with metric handwheel calibrations, accessories and both machines fitted with factory installed digital readouts (each with its own readout box)
Additional Sherline Part Numbering Conventions
- Machines and accessories have four-digit part numbers, while replacement parts generally are given five-digit part numbers.