The display shows the position of each axis in relation to a zero point that you establish. Inch versions show position to three and a half decimal places or to within .0005″. Metric versions show position to within .01 mm. Backlash can be electronically eliminated by setting its measured value into the readout box for each axis. When handwheel rotation changes direction, the backlash value is electronically subtracted before the readout counts in the other direction.
The ease with which distance and direction can be kept track of with this system will add a new level of enjoyment to your machining. It also helps eliminate some of the tedious job of keeping track of handwheel revolutions and thereby helps eliminate errors.
NOTE: The unit does not translate dimensions from inch to metric. It must be initialized to work with the pitch of the leadscrew to which the handwheel is attached.
NOTE: The DRO was not designed to provide a closed-loop system when used in conjunction with CNC; however, it can be adapted to fit on the rear shaft of stepper motors for manual use. See the DRO on CNC page for installation instructions.
Standard equipment for the model 5800 (5810 metric)-DRO mill includes:
- A powerful 90V DC motor with electronic speed controller
- 18″ mill base with Y-axis leadscrew protection
- 2.75″ (70 mm) x 18.0″ (457 mm) extended mill table with two T-slots
- 7″ x 13″ tooling plate
- 15″ (63mm) extended column bed
- Extra-rigid column base
- Special handwheels are supplied with DRO machines. These handwheels can be reset to zero electronically with the push of a button on the DRO display box. Sherline DRO mills are outfitted with the special DRO 2″ (51mm) handwheels on the Y-asix leadscrew and X-axis table feed screw, and a 2.5″ handwheel on the Z-axis vertical feed screw. Each handwheel has laser engraved aluminum handwheel collars
- 3072 ¼” Jacobs drill chuck w/ key, #1 Morse arbor with drawbolt
- Oil reservoirs on the X-, Y- and Z-axes
- Pulleys, drive belt, three hexagonal keys, spindle bars, gib removal tool, eight-foot three-wire power cord, and instruction manual
See the individual page for the 5800/5810 Mill for more details on the machine itself and what comes with it.